The Practical Lawyer

Landlord and tenant – residential

‘Elevation’ – front and/or rear?

The UT has held that a covenant against making ‘any alteration in the elevation’ of a flat applied to alterations at the front or rear of the property.
Subscribers only...

MEES – £3,500 cost

Under the MEES Regs it is unlawful for an L in the private rented sector to grant a new domestic tenancy, or renew an existing one, if the property does not have an EPC of E (or better). 
Subscribers only...

Airbnb – summary

Most long lessees will be in breach if they regularly let their property out on Airbnb:
Subscribers only...

Education – student accommodation

An educational institution will generally be well advised to organise student lets as fixed-term licences.
Subscribers only...

Consent to assign – costs

Readers may remember a 2016 High Court decision involving very high charges sought by L for a consent to assign various residential leases. 
Subscribers only...

Lease – ‘occupation by T’

It is very common for a long residential lease to say that use must be as a ‘single residential unit only’ (or similar). Much rarer, and to be avoided, is the clause that says that it cannot be used ‘other than as a single private dwelling in the occupation of the Lessee and his family’. 
Subscribers only...

Covenant by L – no discretion

If L grants T a licence to carry out works (eg alterations) that are absolutely prohibited by the lease, then L will be in breach of its obligations to other Ts in the building.
Subscribers only...

Service charge – update

Two unrelated points on service charges:
Subscribers only...

Enfranchisement – changes?

The Law Commission has recommended major changes to the residential enfranchisement regime. There is a fair chance these changes will be implemented, in which case enfranchisement will be cheaper, and less technical.
Subscribers only...
  • «
  •  Start 
  •  Prev 
  •  1 
  •  2 
  •  3 
  •  4 
  •  5 
  •  6 
  •  7 
  •  8 
  •  9 
  •  10 
  •  Next 
  •  End 
  • »

Page 1 of 43

Most-read articles

Could you write for The Practical Lawyer?

We are looking for help! If you can write in a practical, easy style, about a range of legal topics then please email a short CV to


IAG International
Join the IBA now!
MSI Global Alliance
In House Lawyer